Earthquake risks recently prompted lawmakers and regulators in several oil and gas producing states to evaluate wastewater injection purportedly linked to seismic activity. Key developments include:
- 4/21: SMU faculty publish geophysical report blaming two wells for Azle, Texas quakes
- 4/23: US Geological Survey issues report claiming seismic events in 8 states were induced
- 4/23: Oklahoma Geological Survey issues statement saying seismic events unlikely to be natural
- 4/24: Texas Railroad Commission issues public statement that it will order show cause hearings for the two Azle wells
- 5/4: Researchers and Railroad Commission officials testify before Texas House Energy Resources Committee induced seismicity hearing
Review a discussion of legal issues associated with induced seismicity.
We will continue to monitor breaking developments here at The Hydraulic Fracturing Blog.